Summary: When the regular Actifry™ (model number range FZ7000 etc) was first introduced around 2007 / 2008, there were several issues encountered with the lid in the UK and in Europe. These issues were later largely cleared up by the release of a better designed lid. This is a recount of those historical issues, for the record.
Actifry lid clips weakened and / or broke at back or at front
Many people reported issues with the lid clips breaking on the regular Actifry’s lid : either lugs at the back or, the catch at the front which holds the lid closed.
- “the locking mechanism in the centre of the lid…one of the sides (plastic) has fallen off….!!!!”1
- “my lid’s had its day…. lug broken on the front , and now at the back.” 2
- “I got a replacement when the clips broke on my first one. That came in January. I live alone and use it sparingly. I’ve probably used the replacement less than 10 times and yesterday I noticed one of the clips is already cracking and it’s a matter of time before it snaps off completely.”3
Some users theorized that the plastic parts weren’t strong enough to hold up to the springs in the hinges: “I think it’s because of the strong spring holding the lid open: when it’s closed there is a lot of strain on these clips.”4
Others theorized that the plastic was weakening from putting the lid through the dishwasher, but the issue was reported even by users who didn’t use a dishwasher: “I too had the problem of the lid clips completing breaking off – I hadn’t noticed the first one breaking as the machine still worked, but was a bit slower to cook. Then I realised what had happened. I had never dishwashed the lid – I say this because I find that that sort of plastic tends to ‘craze’ and become very fragile after cleaning in the dishwasher. ”5
Some users theorized that it was the strong spring action of the hinges that weakened the lid: “From my experience, I strongly recommend anyone who owns this product to ALWAYS put your hand (remember to use a glove if the machine is hot!) on the top of the lid before opening it and support it as it springs back. In this way, you take much of the strain off the lid and the clips which hold it on, as it springs back very strongly if you don’t do this, which will probably shorten its life.”6
If the clip at the front is weakened or broken off, the lid won’t stay shut during operation (or after.)
- “One of the front clips on the lid broke on mine after only being used a couple of times …. so for about 18 months when it’s been in use i put a glass dish with 2kg of flour on the lid to hold it down, but yesterday parts of the back clips broke off and went into my chicken…”7
- “I own 2 tefal actifrys, both over 1 year old ….. Both lids broke in exactly the same way – the plastic clips snapped. I just put a heavy pot on the lid to keep it closed when it was cooking.” 8
- “When I use mine I put a heavy plate or pan lid on top of the lid to hold it shut as it pops open quite a lot, however one of my clips on the lid has broken as well.” 9
- “I have needed to put a heavy plate on the lid since the first week, to stop it popping open.”10
Actifry lids cracking
There were reports that the early model lids were susceptible to cracking:
“I have just noticed a crack in my lid after being very careful with it after six weeks!”11
“I’ve recently had this problem too; the lid has completely snapped off today when I went to move the Actifry. …Started with a little crack in the plastic, now it’s in pieces”12
“I’ve had my Actifry for 3 months and now have a crack running the length of the lid.” (9 Dec 2009. Amazon Review Comment. Retrieved August 2014))
Resolution: New, sturdier Actifry lids were designed in 2009
Starting in 2009, users began reporting that new, sturdier replacement lids were becoming available. However, how soon they replaced weaker lids already out in the replacement parts supply chain, is anyone’s guess.
WHICH consumer magazine in the UK reported in October 2010, “… the lid clip [issue] was also resolved, via product development, during 2009.”13
Following is what consumers were reporting:
“One of my lid clips broke after 11 months and I e-mailed customer services. As it was within the 1 year guarantee period they sent me without question a new lid. This seems a slightly different design from the old lid but works just as well.”14
“The lid is definitely a design fault as the locking lugs on the lid have broken. Tefal may have realised this as they have designed a stronger lid as replacement…”15
“Replacement lid was delivered and is obviously from a new molding, as the lugs themselves are thicker and feel more sturdy.”16
“The lid on my Actifry broke after about 14 months … I emailed Tefal …. They also say they were aware that the lugs (the bits that clip on the front of the lid) were weak and had changed the spec for the lids.”17
“I have to say the new lid is more robustly-made than the old one which broke and the material seems thicker.”18
With the new sturdier lids, complaints of the lid not holding up dried up. There are only one or two sporadic reports since then of the lid’s plastic hinges still breaking, such as this one from spring 2014:
“My 3rd lid [bought 4 months ago back in November] has just snapped at the back where the hinge is!! !!”19
It’s not known if the replacement lids the user above mentioned were of the earlier, inferior model of lid, or the new model.
This site is not aware of any these reported issues having been widespread in North America. Actifry was introduced into North America later, and it could be that it was introduced with the more robust lid.
* Actifry™ is a registered trademark of SEB, France.
18 Jan 2011. Amazon Review Comment. Retrieved August 2014 ↩
1 Dec 2009. Amazon Review Comment. Retrieved August 2014 ↩
10 April 2009. Amazon Review Comment. Retrieved August 2014 ↩