A nice slow roast in a paddle-assisted air fryer such as an Actifry™ brings out a sweet taste and semi-crispness in broccoli.
Yet, this is quick enough, and low work enough, to qualify as a week night side veg.
Makes 4 cups / 550 g : that’s a generous serving each for 4 people.
And even though it’s roasted in glorious duck fat, it’s only 96 calories / 3 Weight Watchers® PointsPlus™ a serving. In fact, using duck fat negates the need to use a lot more oil for the same results, which would make it more fattening / less healthy.
Serving size: 1 cup / 140 g
- Wash broccoli, chop into medium bite-sized pieces; spin dry in salad spinner (or pat dry); set aside.
- Peel and mince the garlic; set aside.
- Put into the Actifry™ pan the 1 tablespoon of duck fat along with the juice from ½ lemon and the maggi; heat for 2 minutes. Add the minced garlic, then add the broccoli. Cook for 13 minutes. Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds over the mixture. Cook for a final 5 minutes to toast the seeds.
If you want to use oil instead of duck fat, you may find you need to use up to 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil so that the broccoli doesn’t just dry out on you — the oil tends to evaporate, while the duck fat tends to stay and coat the broccoli stopping it from drying out.
You can make this in advance, and reheat with a quick zap in the microwave.
Feel free to think of other flavourings to toss in — some chile flakes? Some sumac powder? Some lemon zest in the last 5 minutes of cooking? Handful of raisins or other dried, chopped fruit in the last 5 minutes? (Affects calories / ww points.)
Some water chestnut slivers, added when the broccoli is, could add some nice crunch (without hardly affecting nutrition count at all.)
There are 96 calories per 1 cup (140 g) serving.
In Weight Watchers® terms, there are 11 Weight Watchers® PointsPlus™ in the entire recipe; that’s 3 points per 1 cup (140 g) serving.
This recipe should not require any added salt — the Maggi is somewhat high in sodium.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by hotairfrying.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Actifry™ is a registered trademark of SEB, France.